Sunday 4 January 2015

Drafting and Planning: Double page spread so far

I done a another draft of a double page spread. It's certainly improved compared to the last attempt:


It's a little tricky to see the second question but I mainly just need to figure out what the entire article will say and position it around her without making it seem awkward, If the arrangement of the text around the cover star proves to be too awkward, then I'll have to use another one of my photos and in a different way. Perhaps when she's still in the centre, the pull quote running along the top with two sections on the far left and right where the text will be. What I also found a struggle was the interviewer calling her 'Little Red'n'Blue' the whole time, so I thought of nick-naming her 'Little Blue' instead-which I suppose I should use throughout the front cover and the contents page too so the audience wont get confused.
But what I do love is the way I done the pull quote heading. I love how the red compliments the cover star's lipstick and I love the jagged, informal way I positioned each word along the tree.
In terms of the editing of the photo, I cut out the cover star and made her more vibrant using the exposure feature, but I turned the surroundings black and white so she'd stand out all the more. This also compliments the 'black and white' house style running throughout the front cover and contents page!

But if I choose to reject the 'black and white' house style of the front cover, then I ought to do something else with the images instead. Perhaps vamp up the vibrancy of the trees to give them a 'fantastical' look, making it look more poppy, theatrical and more of a music magazine photo! In terms of the text, I'll put semi-transparent white boxes behind them so you could read it yet still see the image underneath.
Another thing I need to remember to do is put in a secondary image. I'll pick either this one:


or this one:

depending on the layout and whether it's easier to squeeze in a 'portrait' or 'landscape' photo.
I also need to include a pull quote. This quote ought to be something which would be a bold, interesting statement that Little Blue says in the article which would reel the reader in to want to know what brought her to saying that! And a final thing I need to include is page numbers! Little Blue will be on page 20, and knowing the contents page is on page 3 on a right hand page, page 20 would be a left page, and so 21 on the right!
I'll experiment further with this layout idea to make sure if I'm heading in the right direction. If I find it's too awkward to squeeze all the text in, then I'll try a simpler approach of the main image being separate from the main body text!

No comments:

Post a Comment