Thursday 25 September 2014

Drafting and Planning: NME Creative Task

I practiced my skills on Paint.net of using layers to overlap the NME Masthead and to move the image of Reznor in front. I used the magic wand tool to get rid of the white background of the Reznor image and moved it in front of the NME Masthead to make him standout.



I imported the image as a JPEG onto a Publisher document and incorporated the common conventions of a magazine cover; main cover line, secondary cover lines, a puff and pug, a specific house-style, a bar-code and the date of release. I'll definitely use this as inspiration when I craft my own music magazine in the way I laid it out and in the type of font used; clear yet dramatic.
I know we were just experimenting with the layout of cover lines and how to move the cover star infront of the masthead by using the magic wand/lasso, but I personally don't like using Paint.Net because there's not as many tools as I'd like, and Publisher is incredibly limited on it's graphic design side. Fortunately, I have Photoshop which I've used for years now, so I'll certainly take advantage of my Photoshop knowledge to make sure my magazine looks as professional as possible!
But regardless of that, this task was incredibly helpful in terms of helping me open my mind to how I could approach my magazine layout when faced with an image.

No comments:

Post a Comment