Wednesday 11 February 2015

Drafting and Planning: My magazine!!!

Here's my final magazine in all its glory!




It was a long journey, but I finally got there! I checked the spelling and done some final adjustments with the double page spread, but I'm so proud of how all three turned out! 
I constantly made sure all the pages harmonized well with each other and that they're all completely consistent; the features on the front cover will be mentioned under the featured section of the contents page, and by making the images of Little Blue stand out especially, since she's the artiste the audience wants to know about.
My front cover is bold, dramatic and unique. I made sure the cover lines framed the cover star without overwhelming the page, and I made sure the cover showed the attitude of the cover star and that any artists mentioned sounded like musicians which would suit a rock magazine.
The contents page is inspired by NME and I love the use of black, since it ties in the whole page and makes it look more complete. I made it consistent with the double page spread, put more than 100 pages so it looks like a jam-packed monthly magazine, and personalised it with all sorts of 'HARK' related phrasings. I adjusted it once more a tiny bit, shifting the 'Guide to Rock' under featured, and to fill the space, I included 'Music Today' under the news section to add more consistency between the front cover and contents page.
For the double page spread, I used the consistent house style of red, black, white and gold. I made the questions asked relevant to a music magazine and made sure I pointed out the reason why the cover star was wearing simple clothing in the article so it wouldn't appear that I just grabbed my sister, threw her on a tree and took a photo of her. I also adjusted the double page spread a tiny bit more; I adjusted the size of the bottom right pull quote and added a red line at the very top of the page, reflecting the one running along the bottom, just to tie it all together into completion.
I love how throughout my magazine there's what I call little 'bridges' which connect Little Blue to HARK. In the front cover it's the link of her red lipstick complimenting the red masthead. In the contents page, the red leaf acts as a connection between Little Blue and HARK and the pull quote heading in the double page spread running over from the main image to the article acts like a bridge between Little Blue and HARK.
Overall, I'm so happy with my magazine, and I hope it does some sort of justice to rock magazines too.

No comments:

Post a Comment