Saturday 17 January 2015

Drafting and Planning: Front cover improved

I've improved the front cover from last time:
Here's the original:

Now from having read the feedback from my last post, here's my new and improved front cover:

I not only changed the cover-star's name to 'Little Blue' and added more cover-lines, but I also varied the font types; using a harmony of both delicate and bold fonts. I also-obviously-put the background back in, and altering the colour of the background to look more 'gold' as if to celebrate the fact of a 100th issue, also making the guide to rock 'definitive'. I made sure the cover-lines matched the highlighted articles in the contents page and gave a similar 'inner shadow' effect in the main cover-line as the headings are on the contents page. I changed the 'DECE' to 'DECEMBER' as well as reducing the price to £5.99 instead. I also put in a web address just above the date and price. Looking over everything, I think I've covered everything in terms of the conventions of a magazine front cover! So I'm very, very happy with my final result.

Though I think this is brilliant, I'm only getting closer to the final product. I'm not there yet. Just looking deeper into it, there's a few things I could improve on still, like the sizing of the cover lines and I just need to make sure it's cohesive with the rest of the magazine. But, having said this, the front cover acts as the bench-mark for the rest of the magazine to meet, so it's the contents page and double page spread that needs to compliment the front cover! I love the use of gold for the celebratory mood of the '100th issue' so I need to bring that through to the rest of the magazine so the audience would be constantly reminded that they're reading out of an exclusive edition of the magazine! The house style now would be red, black, white and gold; this is the pallet I need to thread through all the pages! I'm looking forward to approaching the rest of the magazine with this new golden vision! 

No comments:

Post a Comment