Sunday 11 January 2015

Drafting and Planning: Complete double page spread first draft

I know I can improve this first draft, but it's a great start; I much prefer the way I laid out the pull out quote heading along the top, and I created white boxes behind the main body text so it's easier to read. I removed the background from behind the tree (which may not be that noticeable considering the original) and I've finally completed the article which I'm very pleased with!


I heightened the vibrancy of the tree so it'd have an element of something unusual and fantastical rather than realistic; in this case it's less like a gardening magazine and more like a pop magazine. I'll use this technique perhaps on the front cover instead of be-ridding the trees completely.
I made the secondary pull quote red so it's more readable and so it links in with the cover star's use of blue (as well as her red lips linking to the main heading.)
I do love this double page spread and I hope there wont be too many elements to change when it comes to making the official double page spread.
But since it's a first draft I do expect things to be criticised and changed. In my point of view, by just looking at it, I think there isn't enough text in there. And there aren't page numbers! I guess I got so caught up in the layout that I forgot to put them in. In the article most of the things on my checklist is mentioned, but there's some things I missed out since I ran out of room. An idea I repeated a few times (like in my last post) could be separating the image and text to make more room.
What I will include is the article so far along with the heading and edited main image!

No comments:

Post a Comment