Wednesday 28 January 2015

Drafting and Planning: Experimenting with Layout for Double Page Spread

I expanded the article in my double page spread and tried a different layout which I may/may not use.



I'm not entirely sure on the layout, since the previous version looks a lot more interesting, but I had to squeeze in more text, so I tried to make space by changing the entire arrangement; moving the image to the top center and wrapping the text around it. I like the look in one way because it shows off the image more and the colours within the tree which I find very pretty, but the text area looks rather boring and I'm also worried in case the article is too 'trivial'.
Perhaps if I changed the yellow highlight of the questions to be either black or red, it'd link in well with the HARK general look. I'm not so sure if the Pull Quote is appropriate but this is all just a new, general idea of how I could do the double page spreads. I'm very open for many improvements and don't think this is worthy to be the final product yet. But what I DO like is that line on the bottom with 'Little Blue' next to the page numbers. I think it adds a subtle professional touch.
There's also a few problems with the image I need to adjust; When I rose the saturation of the tree, the cover star's saturation increased too so I had to cut out a separate version of her and overlap it with the 'too saturated' cover star. But I didn't overlap the image enough; it looks a little out of place.

Just looking at the contents page and double page spread, I know there's plenty of things I could do to give this layout the HARK look!:

As I said in my previous blog post, the use of red and black really is vital to finish the look of this double page spread; the magazine would be incredibly inconsistent if there wasn't red and black in the DPS! And to avoid the 'trivia' side of the article, cutting off some about her tour and perhaps including something about her and what she stands for would be valid. The use of white creates emptiness and the audience needs to think they're reading something jam-packed! So black would tighten the pages together, making the whole look miles more complete! I'll set out to accomplish this as soon as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment