Thursday 2 October 2014

Drafting and Planning: Investigating Typography

The font I found the most effective is font E because it's simple but effective with a dramatic edge, it isn't too overbearing and it's clear enough for the audience to read. I like the fact the font looks condensed so it wraps around the cover star well.
But I do like font B since the first letters of each word are in bold which gives it a bit of personality-reflecting on the idea of 'half' her face being a machine. But I don't think it frames the cover star that well.
Every font has it's purpose, but fonts C and D definitely does not fit in on the cover of a cool, urban music magazine like this one. Font D would fit better with perhaps, a historical magazine, and C for a children's magazine or a comic, but not at all appropriate for a music magazine more likely aimed at young adults.
Fonts A and F on the other hand are more likely used for the main body of text within the magazine rather than on the cover where you want to purposefully attract the attention of the audience-they're just not enough of a statement for a front cover.

This task was very helpful in terms of the do's and don't's of typography; now I know that every font has it's purpose and has given me ideas of what's important to me when it comes to the fonts and how it relates to the cover star and genre of magazine. For example, a music magazine would use more bold, easily read fonts. But if we reduced that down to a rock magazine like KERRANG! their fonts would have more attitude and be used in a carnivalesque way which 'screams' at the audience whats inside.
NME and Q would use three or four different types of font throughout the front cover, contents page and dps, but on the front cover, I think any different fonts would be for pugs or puffs. I'll definitely keep all that I've learnt in mind when I make my music magazine, especially how the fonts could correlate to the genres (especially from having experienced the limited number of fonts on Publisher when doing this task: http://daniellepalmermedia.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/drafting-and-planning-nme-creative-task.html ).  

No comments:

Post a Comment