Thursday 30 October 2014

Drafting and Planning: Re-Make Re-Model

I created an NME inspired front cover. I chose NME because I love the tone it gives off and it's symbiosis towards the coverstar as well as the varied content.


I used the left-third NME logo which is red to harmonize with the house style and the colour scheme of the cover star. The cover star uses direct address like most of the NME magazines to initiate a relationship/interaction with the audience. I mainly used a bold, blocked font since mose NME covers use this sort of font to bluntly tell the audience what's inside, but they also use another, more elegant font to highlight important information; which I did too.
I used a anchorage text of the main cover line to give the reader a taste of what the article is about and I also used pugs and puffs to lure the audience in to buy this edition especially for the extra features. Skyline cover lines are common with NME magazines and I remembered to include the NME selling line too! On every magazine cover you need a barcode, price and date of the edition, so I made sure I included it! The generally darker colour scheme could relate to how NME is a smooth but edgy rock magazine, and I made sure there's cohesion throughout; the blue background matches the cover-star's eyes, the text colour links in with the cover stars clothes too.

For a first attempt at a music magazine front cover from scratch, it's very good but I'd say, personally, to improve, I should vary the fonts used as well as sizes, include more cover lines since there's a lot of negative space, and next time use a shot type in which I could squeeze in as many cover lines as I could and have the cover star's head overlapping the masthead. Also, the editing on the photo I used is quite obvious around the edging of the image, so when I get my official photos, any editing I do I ought to make it look as if it's part of the original because it's edited so well!
One thing I notice about NME is the variation of shot types used for their front covers. They're not all mid shots or medium close ups (like the picture on this front cover) but some are long shots or even wide shots. So I shouldn't be afraid in experimenting with different shot types throughout my magazine either!

No comments:

Post a Comment