Sunday 2 November 2014

Research into similar products: Blocking

 Since I'll be using two cover stars on my magazine front cover, I researched the effect of the blocking of different magazine covers.


The two cover stars standing back to back creates equal distribution of each star on the cover. By doing this, both cover stars are equally noticed, making neither one more important than the other. This makes NME seem like a fair company giving a fair symbiosis between the company and cover stars as well as between the cover stars themselves. I also love how the text overlaps each cover star, labeling them individually and uniting them with the '&'.

 I love the interaction between the two cover stars in this magazine cover. The interaction greatly links to the main coverline; Ian Brown meeting (looking at) JAY-Z. This cover also gave me ideas on how and where I can position the coverline without it having to overlap the cover stars or detract the attention from them. The main cover line is almost used like an arrow, pointing from one cover star to the other, leading the audience to be curious about the story.


There aren't many Q magazines with more than one cover star, but the blocking and positioning of these cover stars is the most similar to my initial front cover idea. I like how only one is facing the camera and the other only shows his profile, This adds a sense of mystery to the one turning away and could suggest a strong connection between the cover stars. I like the use of props too, it not only 'fills the space' but adds a story to the image. The fact that the cover stars are in black and white could add a greater sense of mystery and uncertainty; it links to the main coverline speaking of time and unseen things.

I'll greatly take into account these variations of blocking. I prefer to use a medium close up, alike most of these covers, since you can easily see the cover stars' expressions and the symbiosis between them and the magazine company.

No comments:

Post a Comment