Thursday 18 December 2014

Drafting and Planning: Cohesion using Page Plus

I used page plus to see how the cohesion between a version of the front cover, the contents page and the double page spread draft looks as a whole if I were to lay them out together.

In terms of the photos I'll definitely use the one of of front cover, and double page spread since they both show different shot types and the attitude of the cover star. I'd be responding to the way most NME and Q magazine were done by using a left-third masthead and with a complimenting house style; nothing too over the top like Kerrang!. With the contents page, I'm conforming to most contents pages with labeling the images with large numbers; but in this contents page, they look a bit lost. I think this contents page needs a lot more structure behind it, especially if it wants to shout out that it's a professional music magazine; at the moment it looks a little thrown together (and it is, really, I'm only experimenting with ideas at the moment).
In terms of the front cover, I need to include many more cover lines, and perhaps I could experiment more with different fonts, as well as reducing the main cover line to make more room for the cover lines. Also, I need to change the typo of 'DECE' to December! 

As a general idea, I like the main idea of the double page spread. But one problem is that will there be a lack of text, and will the text be visible with the colourful photo?
 
What's good to see is that there's consistency between the pages, (but I could've used a bit more red in the contents page). I love the secondary image in the double page spread and I want to see if there's a way I could use it for either the front page, the contents or the double page spread and for it to still be consistent with the rest of the magazine. It's rather hard to do this since she's lying down and it's horizontal, so it's harder to use for an A4 sized page, unless I were to go down a root of a magazine with a more 'square' shape than rectangle-but that's probably just over-complicating things. With the contents page, it looks good but is a little bit all-over-the-place for me. So I'm going to try a simpler approach with a white background with the image taking up half or a third of the page. Also I need to make sure I use more red to make it all harmonize better as a whole. The double page spread is one of my favourite pages but I still think there's many improvements to make; it's a little bit tricky to read the main body text, so I probably have to decide on one text colour and use a slightly transparent white or black box behind the text like how I did in the contents page. I just noticed one of the coverlines on the front cover isn't mentioned on the contents page! Well, these are just drafts, when I modify them I'll sort out all those little mistakes.  


No comments:

Post a Comment