Thursday 20 November 2014

Organisation: How to approach the official photography

One thing I see I need to figure out with my photos is the background; I don't want the background to be too complicated or else it'll detract from the cover star and cover lines. The best approach I could have is to use a white background-which is easier to manipulate anyway-but I need to make sure the cohesion between the front page, contents page and double page spread is consistent in order to form a strong symbiosis between the magazine company and the cover star. In order to make this happen, font colours and types as well as cover lines and photos used have to be consistent. For example, its more effective if all the photos are from the same shoot; with this the sequence of front page, to contents to the double page spread will be mush more consistent and will help the message of the artist be more obvious and persuasive.

I like the idea of using a few long shots rather than mid shots all the time; especially since my cover star will be fairly vintage, her identity and personality could be strongly shown with a long shot. At the same time I need to make sure all the photos have some sort of correlation to a 'music artist' whether it be through props, clothing and make-up or the pose itself. Though she has a quirky yet modern identity already by her costume and make-up, to simply stand still would do her injustice, so an interesting pose- especially with a long shot-in accordance with her potential surroundings is the best way to proceed when it comes to photography.

From thinking about my last post, I mentioned the cover star having perhaps something unusual surrounding her to contrast with her quirky yet quite regular looks. So if I do have her in any interesting backgrounds, it ought to 'add' to her as an artiste, not divert the attention away. For example, I could use editing to change the background black and white if I feel it's too distracting, or it could become part of the house style and use a similar colour palette throughout. Shot types, like the long shot I mentioned before, could add more to her character, but so could low angle shots; giving her importance and dominion over her audience, making her seem powerful, and so reflecting her music's growing popularity. But I always need to keep in mind how I could arrange cover lines around the front cover photo, there needs to be a equal distribution of photo and text, to show a strong symbiosis between cover star and magazine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment