Wednesday 19 November 2014

Organisation: Inspiration for cover star and magazine style of music

With my photo exploration of the last post, I took inspiration from the 50's make-up, and acknowledged artists like Imelda May who has a 50's style with a modern twist to her; 


I tried to mimic the single curl in my cover star's hair, but it didn't work (her hair's very hard to discipline) so I just made the rest of her hair curly instead. I definitely incorporated the bold red lipstick and black eyeliner and the use of accessories; but I couldn't take total inspiration from Imelda May because she has a style and stature which is entirely different from my cover-star's.













When I done some research into the 50's and 60's fashion, I noticed my cover star in my photo experimentation looked a lot more like the 60's fashion than the 50's fashion:


60's fashion















50's fashion



















So by discovering this, perhaps it'll be more 60's than 50's style of rock'n'roll music too! I could include classics in the charts list taking inspiration from artists like Elvis Presley, especially with his appeal and how he done a variety from typical rock'n'roll to ballads to gospel...



I'm completely inspired by how much of a performer he was with his talents touching all sorts of areas, and with a voice which could touch and melt any heart (yes, I'm a fan). I'm not surprised he turned out to be such a legend. It's that kind of attitude and appeal I wish to push through with my magazine; despite there'll be the sort of 'cute' 50's/60's make-up and fashion, there'll be that cool 'Elvis' appeal, again, reflecting on the style NME has; it may sound a little complicated, but I can pull this off by keeping in mind the house style of both the cover star and masthead (in order to get a strong symbiosis) and the shot types and any editing used as well as lighting.

But I think having a modern twist is very important too, since this is a rock magazine like NME which tries to be current and touch on many areas. So my cover star could look merely inspired by the 60's fashion (I think 60's is more achievable in terms of clothing) but have the relatable modern girl twist too; jeans and trainers, some casual clothing, so there'd be something comfortable and open about her. Through this I'd be touching on the social group of the 'normal' 'everyday' sort of person. Again, this makes her more relatable, but there'd be something special about her nonetheless. This could challenge the conventions of typical female artists who usually look half-nude and rebellious.

In this case, I ought to make the surroundings of her photos rather interesting then, so that if it's not her that's visually remarkable, then perhaps her surroundings could say something about music.
Most rock'n'roll songs seem to be about random things, such as 'Blue Suede Shoes' to something more expected like 'Don't be Cruel'. So the fact her appearance shows both extremes of normality and strangeness could reflect this genre's extremes of randomness and romanticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment