Sunday 23 November 2014

Research into Target Audience: Symbiosis between cover star and magazine

For my contents page, I'm thinking of using a few long shots to show the entire identity of my cover star. NME always seem to use the most tasteful, popular artists; even those who aren't new but have been around a while, such as David Bowie in this front cover:


I love the use of props here, the interaction between the cover star and an object, and the house style compliments the origami cranes so well too. I also find his facial expression quite amusing considering all he's doing is catching origami cranes. The fact he picks up the red crane links to the NME masthead and general house-style; this forms a strong symbiosis between the cover star and magazine company.


I love the simplicity of the house style and background, making it obvious that these are special editions by the gold and black house style as well as all the cover stars wearing similar coloures and all holding an old NME magazine, showing how NME has kept it's ethos throughout time. Again, I love their use of props and it's relevance to the main story, in addition to the various poses they're doing which, again, can hint to the article.
This makes me wonder if I should think about the article and create the photoshoot around the story, or take the photos first then create a main story around them. 




What I like about these two cover stars, even though they're both very different in terms of artists, they both have the use of a wind machine to add an effect of power and beauty. Their body language is also dependent on their personality, so I should keep in mind the personality of my cover star in order to bring the best out of her.

Q magazine is fairly similar to NME in terms of the layout of their front covers; they both tend to reach out to a similar target audience-those (probably young adults to people in their mid 30's) who don't have any specific music preference but love a varied magazine with great artists, all successful and shown in an idealistic, tasteful way.


I absolutely adore this page of Adele; it seems like it's a single page article, but it can still give me ideas on either a long shot for the contents page, or perhaps having the text wrap around the cover star in the double page spread! 


I love the pizazz use of of colour and even though the background is quite complicated, it doesn't take it away from the cover star. I love how the cover star's arm's gone through the 'Q', creating a strong symbiosis between cover star and magazine company. The house style and font types are also complimentary to the graffiti behind him. I suppose I must make sure the font compliments my photos too!
To be honest, now I'm stuck between whether I should have a white background, or if I should take the photoshoot outdoors into a sunny day in the park (if there's any chance of a sunny day this winter. But then again, weather may not matter, since if it was raining, then it could create a dramatic effect and maybe the article could be a sad one or it could represent the tone of her album.) because sometimes, like the Coldplay cover, the background can add to the cover star and the magazine, making it all the more dynamic. I suppose I just need to know the means and ways in which I can still effectively edit my photos so it blends in well with the masthead and cover lines-and I know photoshop will do the trick!

No comments:

Post a Comment