Monday 24 November 2014

Research into Similar Products: Complex backgrounds

As I said in my previous post, I'd like to see whether a complex background would detract from the cover star and cover lines or add to it.


I like the countryside background to this Mumford & Sons photo, and it doesn't detract from the cover stars or the masthead at all. What they did instead was make the cover lines compliment the NME Masthead, with the use of black, red and white. But I wonder if this makes the symbiosis seem weaker because the diverse colour difference causes a split between the cover stars and NME. When I make my magazine, I'll make sure the photo has some sort of link with the masthead, for example, with a red masthead, there ought to be an element in the photo that's red, like the cover star wearing red lipstick. By doing this, there'll be a solid link between the cover star and magazine. Also, they have a sense of musical mise-en-scene with their instruments, so if I can't get my hands on an instrument, then I'll ave to make up for it by the cover star's attitude and appearance.


I also love the location they must've went to for this 'Killers' photoshoot. I like how the dirty, beige-brown rocks compliment the colour of the cover-stars' skin, and how their black clothes compliment the word 'BATTLE' and main body text. The background here adds a story and a dynamic that does not distract from the main story or the cover stars themselves. Since the colours of the background are similar to the colours of the Killers, a link between artiste and surrounding is provided, so isn't inconsistent in it's layout and with the help of their attitude and blocking (showing a sense of hierarchy/ acknowledgement of each band member's role), it makes the magazine still look like a music magazine, not an exploring/travel magazine,


I love the prominently warm coloures used in this main cover. What I also like is the distribution of the cover star and the cover lines and left-third masthead. We do see that the background is likely to be complex but this doesn't make the cover any less effective- actually, it looks much better than it probably would've if the background was white or some other plain colour. 
The golden tones of the cover star's skin matches the golden font of the main cover lines, and the small elements of white within his clothing also harmonizes with the white cover lines. The reds used relates well to the NME masthead; and so through this collaboration of colour, each matching either the cover star photo or the masthead, shows a strong symbiosis between them.

So with a complex background, I just need to make sure it fits in with the cover star and that cover lines can also still be read without any distraction. I'll definitely use these front covers and double page spread as inspiration for this idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment