Wednesday 26 November 2014

Organisation: What Fonts to use within the magazine & Research into Similar Products

Organisation
I tried to take inspiration from most of the NME magazines, as well as adding a few quirks of my own. Some of these fonts I may or may not use, depending on what suits what best when it actually comes to putting the magazine together.

Fonts used:
Orial (subheading)
Arial (Cover lines and Main Cover line)
Desyrel (Some headings)
Poor Richard (Main body text, Contents list, Page numbers)
Vivaldi (the 'M' in 'Main body text' to be used when starting an article.)

Just like what I said in my previous typography posts (here and here), every font has their purpose and the fonts used must compliment the photos taken. Since I'm yet to take my photos, I'm unsure of what fonts would suit the images best. But I've got some idea of how I'd want the photos; set in a park, and the cover star though normal looking, has a 60's twist in her make-up. So the cover lines have to either compliment her quirky 60's side, or perhaps even conform to her serious 'normal', 'humble' side, or could even compliment the bold, powerful attitude of the magazine itself!

Research into Similar Products
Most music magazines use bold block fonts, and any switch in font type (especially in the front cover) would be to either highlight a pug or puff, to highlight exclusive cover lines, to show the important parts of the cover lines compared to other parts, or to highlight the main cover line in it's uniqueness according to the appeal of the photo. For example, this image of a Q front cover:


I love the different font uses here, but the most interesting use of fonts is the 'graffiti' like cover lines (relating to the graffiti background) and the bold font used for the numbers. The eye contact of the cover star looking towards the '50' could also help the audience move their eyes from the cover star and his story to the rest of the articles featured! But with the fonts, since they're varied in a purposeful, stylish way, it keeps the audience entertained and could show the variation of musical content inside!
So from having learnt from this, I'll try to not shy away from using interesting fonts, especially ones which compliment the cover star or the attitude I want to give off. For instance, if my cover star looks too 'girly' at some point, a dramatic font being used around her could change her whole appeal into something more dynamic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment